Surface Transportation Block Grant (STBG)
This page contains information about the Tri-County's STBG program and other major transportation infrastructure programs.
Fiscal Years 2025 & 2026 STBG Allotments
The Tri-County Regional Planning Commission (TCRPC) is estimating that $8.2 million ($8.2M) will be available for FYs 2025 and 2026. Of the $8.2M, approximately $6.56M will be available for road reconstruction projects and new roadway projects. The remaining $1.64M will be available for pavement preservation projects.
On March 16, 2022, Tri-County Regional Planning Commission issued a Call for Projects for the FYs 2025-26 STBG Traditional Program. Project applications were due to staff on Friday, April 29, 2022, at 4:00 pm. Staff received a total of seven applications:
- East Peoria – Grange Road from Centennial to US-24
- Pekin – Court Street from 8th Street to Stadium Drive
- Pekin – Derby Street from 8th Street to 14th Street
- Peoria – Northmoor/University Intersection
- Peoria County – Sheridan Road from Glen to Northmoor
- Tazewell County – Mueller Road from Pinecrest to Jay Ave
- Washington – Nofsinger Road from Santa Fe Rd to Cruger Rd
After the evaluation process, the Tri-County Regional Planning Commission board (Full Commission) approved the programming of the following projects on August 3, 2022:
Pekin – Court St. from 8th to Stadium Dr.
Peoria – Northmoor/ University Intersection
The Tri-County Regional Planning Commission (TCRPC) is accepting project submissions for Fiscal Years 2025 and 2026 Surface Transportation Block Grant (STBG) Preservation Set-Aside from Wednesday, August 17 to Friday, September 30. Approximately $1.64M will be available for preservation projects.
Project applications are due to staff by Friday, September 30, at 4:00 PM. The application is a PDF with fillable forms and is best completed with Adobe Reader (free download) or Adobe Acrobat.
- Call for Projects
- Instructions and Criteria – Preservation Set-Aside
- Application – Preservation Set-Aside (Please download for full functionality)
- Regional Pavement Management Program Phase I (web map)
Contact staff at email@example.com with any questions regarding the process.
What is STBG?
The Surface Transportation Block Grant (STBG, formerly referred to as STU) are federal funds allocated annually to the urbanized area through IDOT which are programmed by TCRPC. STBG funds may be used to fully or partially fund regionally-significant roadway projects in the Metropolitan Planning Area (MPA). The MPA is the geographical area, which includes the existing urbanized area (defined by the Census Bureau) and the contiguous area expected to become urbanized within 20-years, in which the transportation planning process is carried out.
Tri-County’s STBG Programs
Within the TCRPC STBG Program, there is the Traditional and Preservation Set-Aside Program. The Traditional Program encompasses (1) new road projects and (2) road reconstruction projects. The Preservation Set-Aside Program only encompasses road preservation projects. Both programs are announced in separate Call for Projects.
For a detailed list of eligible projects, see the most current guidelines for TCRPC STBG Application Procedures and Selection Criteria for New Roadways & Existing Roadways or the Resurfacing Pilot Program.
- Construction, reconstruction, rehabilitation, or operational improvements of roadways
- Projects relating to intersections that have high accident rates and/or high congestion levels
- Capital costs for transit projects eligible for assistance under Chapter 53 of Title 49
- Transportation alternatives, including recreational trails
- INELIGIBLE: Engineering, ROW Acquisition, Utility Relocation, all other activities otherwise eligible under 23 USC 133 Surface Transportation Block Grant Program
Dues-paying members of TCRPC are eligible to apply for funding. Non-member local jurisdictions within the MPA must be sponsored by a TCRPC member.