Title IV of the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2021, provided an additional $10,000,000,000 for highway infrastructure programs across the United States. The Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) distributed $876,791.41 of these COVID Relief Funds for infrastructure projects in the Peoria-Pekin Urbanized Area. These funds will be programmed by the MPO.
Potential uses for COVID Relief Funds include:
- Adding funds to FY 22-24 project(s) already in the Transportation Improvement Program (TIP)
- Identifying and programming a shovel-ready project in the Long-Range Transportation Plan 2020-2045
“Shovel-ready” means Phase I Engineering and Environmental Review are complete and no additional right-of-way is required.
At its May 27, 2021 meeting, the PPUATS Policy Committee directed staff to prepare and release a Call for Projects for COVID Relief Funds. All eligible projects submitted will be considered for funding along with FYs 2022-24 TIP projects. COVID Relief Funds will be programmed according to the following schedule approved by the Policy Committee.
- May 19, 2021 — Technical discusses prioritization process and establishes subcommittee.
- May 27 — Policy approves schedule for programming COVID Relief Funds.
- May 31 – June 25 — Staff prepares and opens call for projects.
- June 25 — Project applications due to staff by 4:00pm.
- June 28 – July 16 — Subcommittee considers submissions, makes recommendation to Technical.
- July 21 — Technical reviews and makes recommendation to Policy.
- July 22 — Policy approves programming of COVID Relief Funds and necessary TIP amendment(s).
In the event of a successful merger of the PPUATS Policy Committee with the Tri-County Regional Planning Commission effective July 1, 2021, the merged Commission will assume the duties of Policy.
Project applications, application instructions, and selection criteria are available on the Surface Transportation Block Grant page.